Posey County Radio News and Sports
Last night, North Posey Softball (25-0) won the Class 2A Sectional 48 championship game over Mater Dei, 9-0. Vikings pitcher Erin Hoehn struck out 20 batters in the game. North Posey Softball will play Sullivan, at Sullivan next Tuesday in the Regional.
Also from last night, North Posey Baseball (17-11) blanked Mater Dei in their first sectional game, 5-0. The Vikings will play again tonight against Tell City at 5:00 PM. It will be played at Forest Park High School and the game can be heard on 98.9 FM WPIW, as well as poseycountyradio.com. Chris Morlan will have the broadcast.
A Mt. Vernon mom was sentenced to more than a decade behind bars for dealing meth and neglecting her children. The Posey County Prosecutor's Office announced Wednesday that Desiree Coons was sentenced to 11 years in prison. Coons was sentenced after pleading guilty to multiple meth and neglect charges. She faced a maximum sentence of 18.5 years in prison, and a minimum sentence of 3 years. Coons was arrested as part of "Operation Aftershock," which was an undercover drug operation that ended in June of 2020, with 20 total offenders charged. Authorities said Coons was caught on video selling meth out of her home while her two small kids were in the room. During a search of Coons' apartment, authorities also said that three kids were found along with meth and drug paraphernalia easily accessible.
Locally owned McDonald’s restaurants will celebrate Memorial Day by offering free breakfast to military service members this Monday morning. Officials say retired, or active-duty military service members can enjoy a free breakfast combo of choice from 6:00 AM until 10:30 AM. The offer is valid at any participating area McDonald’s restaurants in Mt. Vernon and Evansville. Local owners say Memorial Day is a time to celebrate and remember the sacrifices made by the great men and women in our military, and they hope local heroes know how much they appreciate all they’ve done for everyone in the community.
This week is the 49th annual EMS Week. Posey County EMS is providing highlights throughout the week. Today, they announced that they are proud to share further details about their Community Paramedic Program: Pro Act. Back in February, they announced the news of being awarded a grant for a program that only one other service offers in the Tri-State. EMS has always been the bridge connecting public safety, public health, and health care. With the Pro Act program, they will be able to extend additional services to the community. Some of those services include, Community Outreach Classes for First Aid, CPR, and Stop the Bleed, Substance Abuse Mitigation, Mental Illness Mitigation, and Elderly Management Programs.
The sixth annual Evansville Food Truck Festival is coming to Bosse Field this Sunday. The festival will take place from 1:00 PM until 8:00 PM. Guests will have access to over 50 Food Trucks, that include foods such as seafood and barbeque. Event officials say guests can cast their vote for their favorite food truck to help determine who will be crowned the “People’s Choice Champion.” The festival will also feature all-day live music, tailgate games and a kid’s zone. General admission is $8.95, premium admission is $31.95 and VIP admission will be $41.85.
Evansville Baseball (34-22) continues play in the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament tonight up in Terre Haute at Indiana State. The Aces are #4 seed and won their first game yesterday, beating Southern Illinois. Tonight, UE Baseball plays #5 seed Murray State at 6:30 PM. It is double elimination, as the Aces are two wins away from the championship game.
Sports From Wednesday:
- Evansville Baseball (34-22) who is the #4 seed in the MVC Tournament won their first game yesterday against #3 seed Southern Illinois, 7-3. The Aces trailed 3-2 in the 7th inning but scored 4 runs in the 7th inning to take the lead. Evansville moves on in the winner’s bracket and will play tonight at 6:30 PM against #5 seed Murray State. The MVC Tournament is a double elimination format and is hosted by Indiana State up in Terre Haute.
- USI Baseball lost in the OVC Tournament as the #8 seed against #5 seed Eastern Illinois yesterday. The Screaming Eagles season came to an end with a 5-4 loss against the Panthers. USI finished with a 17-38 record.
- The St. Louis Cardinals (22-29) got drilled by the Reds (21-28) last night in Cincinnati, 10-3. The two teams wrap up their 4-game series today at 11:35 AM.
- The Chicago Cubs (22-26) topped the New York Mets in Chicago, 4-2. Cubs go for the 3-game sweep tonight at 6:40 PM.
- The Chicago White Sox (21-30) picked up a series win in Cleveland over the Guardians, 6-0.