Posey County Radio News and Sports
A Posey County man is accused of dealing drugs, after deputies say pot, meth, and guns were found inside a home with a young child. Deputies say they went to Andrew Schmitt’s home on Upton Road Friday night. They say they could smell marijuana, but Schmitt and a woman at the home didn’t want them to go inside. Deputies say the woman told them it was because there was a child asleep on the couch. While they were waiting on a search warrant, deputies say Schmitt admitted marijuana was inside the home and gave them permission to search. Deputies say they found a total of 7.2 pounds of marijuana inside several bags. They say a loaded rifle and a stolen gun were also found, as well as some meth and drug paraphernalia. Deputies say Schmitt admitted to selling marijuana. The Department of Child Services was called because of the child inside the home. Schmitt faces a long list of charges.
Posey County Council on Aging announced that coming up this Friday, they will be hosting a meeting about scamming. The Mt. Vernon Police Department will be there to talk about scams. It starts at 10:00 AM on Friday morning and is open to the community. The location of the meeting is 611 West 8th Street in Mt. Vernon. If you have any questions, you can call Posey County Council on Aging at 812-838-4656.
The Evansville City Council introduced a salary ordinance Monday that would include a $30,000 raise for the mayor. Under the ordinance, the mayor would earn $135,000 next year and would not apply to outgoing mayor Lloyd Winnecke, but to his successor. The City Clerk would earn $94,500 and City Council members would earn $21,588. The Council has until November first to approve the budget and salary change. The City Council voted to allow the Evansville Redevelopment Authority to sell bonds to raise $9 million, which will be used to purchase certain roads and streets from the city of Evansville. The city will then use the $9 million to make improvements at Ford Center.
Tickets are now on sale for an annual family-friendly Halloween event in Evansville. Officials with Mesker Park Zoo say tickets for the annual "Boo at the Zoo" event are on sale now. Kids and families are invited to attend the event, where they can take part in trick-or-treating and other Halloween themed activities. Tickets for the event are $8 each, but kids ages 1 and under can get in for free. The event happens on select Fridays and Saturdays in October. The dates for this event are October 13th and 14th, October 20th and 21st, and October 27th and 28th. Additionally, a Sensory Session of Boo at the Zoo will be held on Sunday, October 22nd. That session will have limited noise, no music, minimal lighting, and limited capacity to provide a comfortable environment for individuals with sensory needs.
The 102nd West Side Nut Club Fall Festival is a few weeks away and organizers say there's a strong need for volunteers. The West Side Nut Club took to social media to ask for the community's help. Some of the booths in need of help include the Hardwood Booster Club, Perry Heights Middle School, Special Olympics, West Terrace Booster Club & PTA, along with many others. Those interested in volunteering can reach out to the West Side Nut Club through Facebook or their website.
- North Posey Volleyball welcomes Reitz. The JV match is set for 5:30 PM and the Varsity match will follow around 7:00 PM.
- North Posey Girls Soccer heads to Gibson Southern at 6:30 PM.
- Mt. Vernon Boys Tennis plays host to North Posey at 4:30 PM.
- Mt. Vernon Girls Golf plays at Helfrich Golf Course against Mater Dei and Reitz at 4:00 PM.
- USI Men’s Soccer (0-5) is home on campus as they battle Belmont at 7:00 PM.
- The St. Louis Cardinals (63-81) play game 2 of their series in Baltimore tonight at 5:35 PM. Catch the game on 106.7 FM WMVI.
- The Chicago Cubs (78-67) continue their series in Colorado with the Rockies at 7:40 PM.
- The Cincinnati Reds (71-68) start a series in Detroit against the Tigers at 5:40 PM.
Sports From Monday:
- North Posey Volleyball (14-3) won in straight-sets last night at Pike Central.
- North Posey Boys Soccer (1-8) lost at home against Southridge, 7-2.
- Mt. Vernon Boys Soccer (7-3) earned a win at home against Princeton, 2-0.
- Mt. Vernon Girls Soccer (4-3) fell at Gibson Southern, 5-1.
- Mt. Vernon Girls Golf defeated North Posey at Cambridge Golf Course. The Wildcats finished with a team score of 223 and the Vikings finished with a team score of 236. Pacing Mt. Vernon was Hadley Weatherford with a 45 and for North Posey it was Mackenzie Mills with a 50.
- The St. Louis Cardinals (63-81) got blasted in the opener of a 3-game series at the Baltimore Orioles, 11-5. Game 2 of the series is tonight at 5:35 PM.
- The Chicago Cubs (78-67) picked up a win in Colorado in their series opener with the Rockies, 5-4. The Cubs scored 2 runs in the 9th inning. Their series continues tonight at 7:40 PM.
- The Cincinnati Reds (71-68) had last night off.